Library Learning Center
What books are in the library?
Look at the column to your right and click on "Library Catalog" under Book Links.
Our Library Catalog is called "Destiny" and it will tell you every book we have here at Backman. It also has book descriptions and reading levels.
Go to this catalog to see if a book is checked "in" or "out". You can even place a hold on a book you want in the future.
Need more help? Watch the video below.
Can I read a book on a computer/phone?
Yes! Sora is the online library for Salt Lake City School District. It can be linked to Salt Lake City Public Library (Day-Riverside Branch), too!
The Sora app is available on both Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
- setup code: saltlakeut
- sign in using your school credentials
Watch the video below for more information on how to access Sora through a computer.
What is Library Class?
Monday-Friday: 7:45 - 8:00 AM
Monday-Thursday: 2:30 - 3:00 PM
The Backman Library welcomes all students and community members!
Click here for more information about how to earn an "Adventure Pass" from PBS Utah!
Battle of the Book: Reading List for 2021-22
The district competition for 4th-6th grade students will be held in March of 2022. How many Battle Books can you read? If you read 5 books by January 31 and complete 5 "Battle Bookmarks" you will earn a ticket to a pizza party here in the library! Click here for more info.
Here is a Book Bite video previewing The Great Pet Heist and Ways to Make Sunshine.
Click here for information on el Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead).
Internet Safety and Digital Citizenship:
Remember to think before you click, take breaks, and be kind and thoughtful to others. Click here to learn more about SLCSD's commitment to digital literacy and digital citizenship.
- Common Sense Media: tools for students and families
- CYBER BULLYING, Salt Lake City District
- Interland: a fun game about being “internet awesome”
- NetSafe Utah : online videos and resources providing internet safety information for kids and parents
Educational Games and Tools:
- ABCya: fun games to practice basic skills for all grade levels
- Chrome Music Lab: Super cool lab of materials for learning/creating music and science principles.
- Google 360 videos
- Google Art Coloring Book: paint your way through famous artwork
- Google Expeditions: travel around the world!
- Google Puzzle Party: digital puzzles using famous art
- Starfall: good review site of basic facts, grades K-3
- PBS Kids
Hour of Code:
Backman Library strives to...
... be a place where everyone is welcome, respected and accepted!
... encourage research and discovery through literature and technology.
... provide strong learning opportunities that develop the skills needed to gain knowledge about using information to connect with others, their communities, and the world.
... reflect, evaluate, and adapt to meet the needs of the various Backman students and school community.
Please view Library policies (book selection, computer usage, book requests, etc) in this document.